Thursday, May 31, 2007

Bad Press = Good Press?


Last night I curled up on the couch and watched Morgan Spurlock's acclaimed documentary Supersize Me. I watched it for the first time in the fall, and was absolutely amazed at the transformation that Morgan Spurlock went through in a mere month. Being an aspiring journalist myself, I admire Spurlock for embarking on such a courageous and dangerous endeavor in order to show the public the horrible effects that fast-food behemoths like McDonald's have had on American culture. The documentary shows, among other frightening realities, school-age children to whom Ronald McDonald is more easily recognizable than Jesus. There is even one section in which a family cannot properly recite the Pledge of Allegiance, and yet one of them rattles off the Big Mac® slogan verbatim without giving it a second thought. (Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun). I highly recommend the film to anyone who has so much as smelled a french fry.

According to the film's own website:

Filmmaker Morgan Spurlock hit the road and interviewed experts in 20 U.S. cities, including Houston, the "Fattest City" in America. From Surgeon Generals to gym teachers, cooks to kids, lawmakers to legislators, these authorities shared their research, opinions and "gut feelings" on our ever-expanding girth.

During the journey, Spurlock also put his own body on the line, living on nothing but McDonald's for an entire month with three simple rules:

1) No options: he could only eat what was available over the counter (water included!)
2) No supersizing unless offered
3) No excuses: he had to eat every item on the menu at least once

What intrigued me last night, though, as I re-watched the award-winning documentary, was not Spurlock's blatant disregard for his own health in the name of journalistic enterprise. Rather, it was my immediate reaction: I want McDonald's!

It was the exact opposite of the intended effect, but I could not deny my sudden craving for either a Quarter Pounder® with Cheese or an order of Chicken McNuggets®. It made me wonder: although the documentary may have caused many a fast-food aficionado to seek healthier sustenance, how many people saw it and then ran out for a Big Mac®? To what extent does the old adage ring true, that any publicity is good publicity? Not assuming, of course, that McDonald's needs any assistance in the publicity department. I don't eat fast-food (of the McD's variety) very often, but I do enjoy it on occasion.

As a matter of fact, my stomach is beginning to rumble. McDonald's, anyone? I'm Lovin' It!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Katy and I watched this last fall as well. It was at times almost too much to watch. However, I also had the same reaction as you.