Wednesday, May 9, 2007

E-mail Trail

My mother always told me never to write anything down that I wouldn't be comfortable with the world knowing. Considering I became a writer, this is quite difficult, especially considering that I journal quite often. I do, however, exercise the utmost caution and realize that it is necessary to keep a tight leash on any personal diaries.

Now that e-mail has perhaps become the preferred method of communication, I think it is imperative that people realize that the old adage holds true. An article in the May 14 issue of Fortune, which can be viewed online here, discusses the problematic nature of the e-mail trail. Everyone, from the highest coprporate honcho to the lowest intern on the totem pole, should beware. The article was written by David Shipley and Will Schwalbe of Fortune, whose new book Send: The Essential Guide to Email for Office and Home was reviewed in the New York Times Sunday book review. Check out the review here .

There's even a list of executives who got axed on account of their questionable e-mail practices.

Moral of the story? Don't write (type, dictate, blog, e-mail, etc.) anything you wouldn't be absolutely comfortable with the entire world knowing. Thanks, Mom!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your welcome!!! You were listening. I love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Tracy! Oh no! Should it have been
You're Welcome????? I hope we both did not miss it. Love you, Mom

Tracy Bratten said...

Hahaha. Yes. You're welcome is correct.