Monday, April 2, 2007

RE: Irresponsibility

Regardless of what you think you've been taught, irregardless is not, in fact, a word. Go ahead, look it up. Not there? It's because it isn't a word. As if double negatives weren't frustrating enough, this little thorn in conversation's side is excruciatingly piercing, and at the very least idiomatically awkward to even the untrained ear (I hope). It sticks out like a sore thumb (enter supposably), and, like the previously mentioned phrase, "I could care less," is increasingly being used so that I fear it might sneak its way into slang. The "ir" is unneccessary. Spread the word.

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language defines regardless this way:
ADVERB: In spite of everything; anyway: continues to work regardless.
ADJECTIVE: Heedless; unmindful.
re·gardless·ly —ADVERB
re·gardless·ness —NOUN
The problem with the non-word irregardless is that it is inherently redundant. It is a single-word double negative, if such a thing even exists. My trusty friends Strunk and White explain it this way:
Irregardless. Should be regardless. The error results from failure to see the negative in -less and from a desire to get it in as a prefix, suggested by such words as irregular, irresponsible, and, perhaps especially, irrespective.
While we're on the subject, let's move on to regard. In regard to is correct. In regards to is incorrect. You may, however, use the plural following as: As regards.

Regards,

Tracy

3 comments:

alyssa said...

Who are these Strunk and White people? Can I be friends with them? Also, do you prefer the double or single space between sentences? I am a double space girl myself, as that is what I was taught in elementary school. However, in this age of e-mails, I find myself increasingly lazy, and, in turn, I resort to the single space more and more. Any thoughts on the subject?

Tracy Bratten said...

Strunk and White are the brains behind The Elements of Style, which is a timeless style manual often regarded as the best reference book of its kind. You'll find it on my "required reading" list.

With regard to the question about single or double spaces after periods, I have this to say: My instinct tells me to use only one space. I feel quite strongly about this, actually, because in my opinion using two spaces between sentences is a waste of space, literally. My initial thought was that two spaces is an antiquated style, though I couldn't figure out why I felt this way, so I did a little research.

It turns out that using two spaces was necessary in the days of typewriters, which used only monospaced fonts, because a period occupied the same amount of space as any other letter and therefore warranted an extra space to clearly define sentences. Computer fonts are proportional, so the two-space method is unneccessary. Here is a good article on the subject, as well as a couple explanations:

One Versus Two Spaces After a Period

MLA FAQ

Get It Write

Muggle Mom said...

you share my husband's exact pet peeves! he can't stand those language mishaps! (this is suzi's sister by the way). great writing!!!