Friday, March 21, 2008

A Time For Everything

Busy Bee. I know. I am guilty of neglecting my blog as of late. My apologies. I'm trying to figure out a better way to balance my schedule, but time management has never been my strong suit. It doesn't help that we recently lost an hour so as to save daylight. And on that note...

It's not "Daylight Savings Time," people, it's "Daylight Saving Time."

My Mom inquired as to why we couldn't just call it Daylight Savings Time. Most people do just that, anyway. (Much to my chagrin, of course. It's almost as bad as people saying they shop at "Nordstrom's." Check it twice. It's Nordstrom. But, as usual, I digress.)

I had to think for a moment on how best to explain why it's saving time and not savings time. What follows is the explanation I gave to her.

Savings is a noun, perhaps most commonly used when referring to money, as in "life savings." Saving, however, is a verb in gerund (-ing) form, which can, at times, represent a noun. For example, in the sentence, "I like shopping," shopping is a gerund in noun form, where shopping represents an activity. (You could not say "I like shop," because shop is a verb. "I like to shop," however, works because the infinitive form to shop is also representative of a noun in this case. But this is getting confusing.

Basically, Daylight Saving Time means that daylight is being saved, and so saving is a verb. The word "save" makes it tricky because of its aforementioned alternate definition - as a noun referring to monetary savings. If it was time to go shopping though, you would not say "It's shoppings time!" You would say "It's time to go shopping," or, "It's shopping time," where shopping is a verb.

In any case, I love that it stays lighter later. I didn't however, love springing forward. I hardly get enough sleep as it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like daylight savings time because I can go to Nordstrom's after work and be home before dark!!!!
Sound o.k. to me!!! Ha Ha
Love ya,
Mom

Anonymous said...

"I like shopping".
A gerund as a noun.
It never occurred to me to look
at it that way. Good spotting.
Did you enjoy diagramming sentences
as a kid ?
Thanks.
No, really...