Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Tap Out


I've made it clear that I'm passionate about all things linguistic. I possess an affinity for idiomaticity and an ear for grammatical correctness. But it is not only the spoken language that interests me. Another of my passions is tap dance, which I regard as a different kind of language, but a language nonetheless.

Like English and Spanish, tap dance consists of words and phrases, patterns, truths and lies. Just as words have etymological roots, tap steps come from somewhere. An article in the New York Times discussed one of today's most popular tap dancers, Savion Glover, most recently recognizable for his contributions to the hit movie Happy Feet. He is currently appearing in Invitation to a Dancer, reviewed here. He is a magician on the floor, but just as occurs in many other intimate circles, not everyone sees eye to eye.

I was disappointed when I read that article, because Glover criticized the hoofers of today of being egocentric and money hungry, abandoning, in the process, organic tap dance education. Tap City comes to New York next week, and I have no doubt that many aspiring hoofers will be inspired by the language of tap dance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).