Thursday, October 4, 2007

!!!

Anybody remember the Seinfeld episode when Elaine broke up with the guy who didn't use exclamation points when he took down her messages? Her friend had a baby! This warrants an exclamation!

This article - aptly called "So Many Exclamation Points!" - that appeared in Slate reminded me of that episode. I, for one, will admit that in the initial stages of a relationship, any correspondence containing improper grammar or misuse of punctuation is an automatic strike. Remember, I'm the girl that smiles internally when I find mistakes in The New York Times. (That's right, kids. I'm as anal-retentive as they come - so punctuate those text messages!) Oh, and yes, I do think about these things.

Usually I'd quote sections of the article, but in this case, I think it's definitely worth the read. On second thought, make that: Worth the read!

No comments: